Budget Board Could Lift Hold Put on Homestead Exemption Audit
Among the items on the East Providence Budget Commission agenda for today, Nov. 29, is a resolution to reverse the moratorium; the board also will meet with the City Council-elect and the School Committee-elect.
The Budget Commission will deal with a resolution to reverse the moratorium placed on the East Providence Homestead Exemption audit at its 3 pm meeting today.
Then at 5 pm, the commission will make a presentation to the Council-Elect and School Committee-Elect.
Both sessions will take place in City Hall, Room 306.
The moratorium on the Homestead Exemption was put in place by the City Council on Nov. 20 because it objects to language in the letter sent out to homeowners about the audit that states a federal income tax return can be used as proof of residency.
Two of the outgoing city councilors, William Conley and Bruce Rogers, were particularly perturbed by the city asking people for their federal tax returns even though there are several other proofs of residency that can be used.
City Manager Peter Graczykowski, a Budget Commission member, is introducing the resolution. Click here to see the complete Patch story on the Homestead Exemption moratorium.
Here is the complete agenda for the Budget Commission meeting today:
1. Executive Session – The Budget Commission of the City of East Providence will meet in Executive Session pursuant to RI General Laws § 42-46-5 (a) (2).
2. Review of Cash Flow and TANS update – Malcolm Moore and John Cimino.
3. Requests to fill vacant School Department positions and approval of personnel actions – John DeGoes.
4. Requests to fill vacant City positions and approval of personnel actions – Peter Graczykowski.
5. Resolution to reverse City Council moratorium of Homestead Exemption letters – Peter Graczykowski.
6. Amendment for Preliminary Design Services for Water System Interconnection with Pawtucket – Peter Graczykowski and Steve Coutu.
7. Request for approval of procurement and/or payments in excess of $25,000 and review of payments and/or procurements under $25,000 – Malcolm Moore.
a. Request to award bids for Fire Stations 1 & 4 Renovations/Upgrades – Fire Chief Joe Klucznik.
b. Request to award bid for City Hall Fire Alarm/Sprinkler Upgrades – Peter Graczykowski.
c. Approval of Special Education contracts for 2012-2013 School Year – John DeGoes and Cheryl Ursillo.
d. Request to award bid for Runnins River Engineering Project – Jeanne Boyle.
e. Request to apply for EPA Brownfields Grant – Jeanne Boyle and Jim Moran.
f. Request to accept Champlin Foundation grant for Jones Pond Project. – Jeanne Boyle and Patrick Hanner.
g. Request to advertise Request for Proposals for ERP System – Malcolm Moore and Peter Graczykowski.
h. Request to advertise Request for Proposals for Tax Sale Collections – Malcolm Moore.
i. Emergency Police vehicle replacement – Peter Graczykowski and Police Chief Tavares.
8. Update on Superintendent and City Manager action items/work plans – John DeGoes and Peter Graczykowski.
9. Additional Commission Items.
10. City Council Minutes from October 16, 2012.
11. Approval of Minutes from November 15, 2012.
12. Schedule and agenda for next meeting, Thursday, December 13, 2012 at 3:00 PM.
*Pursuant to R.I. Gen. Laws 45-9-6, Budget Commissions are only subject to the Open Meetings requirements of chapter 42-46 of the general laws when taking certain actions specified in that law.