A recommendation from East Providence's interim superintendent, John DeGoes, to close Oldham School in Riverside goes before the Budget Commission today, Jan. 17, at its bi-weekly meeting. It starts at 3 pm in City Hall.
DeGoes made the recommendation to close the elementary school and consolidate most of its students and staff at Waddington School last Thursday, Jan. 10, to the East Providence School Committee. See the Patch story.
The recommendation from DeGoes is his response to the Budget Commission's request to close a school given the school department's declining enrollment and finanial situation. Oldham is one of the city's oldest schools and it is the smallest elementary school in East Providence. Therefore, it disrupts the fewest number of students and adds no additional transportation costs, he said.
The RI Department of Education also does not favor spending between $2 million and $2.5 million on fire safety, security and the roof for the deteriorating building, DeGoes told the School Committee.
Here is the complete agenda for today's Budget Commission meeting.
City of East Providence Budget Commission
Working Session Agenda
3 pm Thursday, Jan. 17, 2013
City Hall Room 306
1. Review of Cash Flow – Malcolm Moore.
2. Review and approval of Tentative Collective Bargaining Agreements with EPPMTEA and Steelworkers. Review and approval of Tentative Collective Bargaining Gap Agreements with Teachers, Educational Secretaries and Police – Joe Whelan.
3. Request to hire Consolidated Human Resources Director – Peter Graczykowski and John DeGoes.
4. Requests to fill vacant School Department positions and approval of personnel actions – John DeGoes.
a. School Committee and Superintendent recommendation for High School Swim Team Head Coach and Assistant Coach positions.
5. Requests to fill vacant City positions and approval of personnel actions – Peter Graczykowski.
a. Request to Post and Fill Senior Accountant Position as part of Consolidated Finance Department Reorganization – Malcolm Moore.
b. Request to post and fill Highway Superintendent position – Steve Coutu. c. Request to Extend Sunday Library Hours for FY 2012-2013 – Eileen
6. Request for approval of procurement and/or payments in excess of $25,000 and review of payments and/or procurements under $25,000 – Malcolm Moore.
a. Request for extension of AMS contract for Finance Department Support Services – Malcolm Moore.
b. Request to approve extension for Police & Fire Pension Board Financial Advisor Wainwright pricing for six months – Malcolm Moore.
c. Request for purchase of minivan & generators for Family Services with Asset Forfeiture Funds – Police Chief Tavares.
d. Request to advertise bid for Compost Screener – Steve Coutu.
e. Request to accept funds for Economic Development Loan for Waterfront Commission – Jeanne Boyle.
7. Receipt of minutes from Tax Appeal Board and recommendation of decisions from Tax Assessor – Steve Hazard.
8. Update on Superintendent and City Manager action items/work plans – John DeGoes and Peter Graczykowski.
a. Recommendation to close Oldham Elementary School beginning September 2013 – John DeGoes.
b. Update on Income Tax Refund Offset Program – Peter Graczykowski. c. Update on RFP for ERP Financial System advertised Sunday 1/13/13 –
Peter Graczykowski and Malcolm Moore.
9. Review and approval of City Council appointees on 12/3/12 and update on Legal Services RFP – Diane Brennan, Peter Graczykowski, and Rob Eaton.
10. Additional Commission Items.
11. Approval of Minutes from January 3, 2013.
12. Schedule and agenda for next meeting for Thursday, January 31, 2013 at 3:00 PM.