Here are five things you should know about this week in East Providence, starting today, The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Day:
- The weather today will be partly cloudy in the morning with periods of snow showers later in the day and temperatures making it only to the freezing mark for a high. It will then turn very cold for a few days.
- The East Providence City Council meets on Tuesday, Jan. 22, at 7:30 pm in the Council Chambers in City Hall, 145 Taunton Ave.
- The City Council holds a special meeting with the East Providence Waterfront District Development Commission on Wednesday, Jan. 23, at 6:30 pm in Room 306, City Hall.
- The East Providence School Committee hosts a public hearing on the proposal to close the Oldham Elementary School on Wednesday, Jan. 23, at 7 pm. It will be held at the Riverside Middle School on Forbes Street.
- Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt opens on Thursday, Jan. 24, at 1080 Fall River Ave., Seekonk, with a ribbon cutting at noon and free frozen yogurt from 3 to 5 pm, according to the East Providence Area Chamber of Commerce.