Here are five things you should know about today and for this week in and around East Providence:
- There will be plenty of sunshine and lots of wind today with temperatures reaching only into the low 30s and gusts occasionally getting up to 40 mph.
- Schools and all government offices will be closed for Presidents’ Day today, and there will be no mail delivery.
- The East Providence recreation department offers a school vacation-week camp at the Recreation Center, 100 Bullocks Point Ave., starting Tuesday from 9 am to 5 pm for kids ages 6-14. Games, sports, arts and crafts and special themed events each day for $10 per child. Bring your own lunch.
- Todd McLeish, a science writer and publicist for the University of Rhode Island, gives a presentation about arctic whales on Wednesday, Feb. 20 at 2 pm. at EPOCH Assisted Living on the East Side, 1 Butler Ave. Call 401-275-0682 to register or for more information.
- The East Bay Community Action Program, 100 Bullocks Point Ave., offers free tax assistance each day running from 9 am to 3 pm. Program qualifying income is $51,000 and below.