Here are some things you should know about this week, Sept. 2-8, in and around East Providence:
- Scattered thunderstorms will end Tuesday, Sept. 3, and sunshine will take over for the rest of the week with temperatures in the mid to high 70s each day.
- The East Providence City Council meets on Tuesday, Sept. 3, at 7:30 pm in the Council Chamber in City Hall for its first monthly meeting.
- The board of trustees of the Weaver Library, 41 Grove Ave., meets on Wednesday, Sept. 4, at 4:30 pm.
- East Providence schools open Thursday, Sept. 5, for the 2013-2014 academic year; drive even more careful than usual with school buses and children navigating city streets.
- The Friends of Crew 55 will hold a yard sale at the American Legion Post, 830 Willett Ave., in Riverside on Saturday, Sept. 7, rain or shine from 8 am to 2 pm.
- The Friends of the Pomham Rocks Lighthouse will hold a chowder and clam cakes fundraiser with a silent auction and raffle at Pazi’s Place, 380 Taunton Ave., East Providence, on Sunday, Sept. 8 from 2 to 5 pm. You can listen to music from the ‘50s and ‘60s at the same time. The rain date is Sunday, Sept. 15.